Monday, March 17, 2008

Bullpen Getting Interesting


So, I was not to bright and bought tickets to go see the Mets play the Astors on Sunday for their split squad game in Kissimmee. Don't get me wrong I love my Mets, but they really didn't bring much of any star power. I wasn't expecting anyone spectacular but I was hoping to see a Endy, Marlon Anderson or even a Castro. The Mets sent Angel Pagan, F-Mart, Jorge Sosa, and Nelson Figueroa. I was upset to know that Pedro was making his spring debut a little over a hour down south, but this spring I have come to enjoy watching Nelson Figueroa pitch. The guy is a great person for baseball. He is great to the fans and always has a smile on his face, well execpt when he gave a blast to Lance Berkman.

His finishing line for the game was 4innings pitched, giving up 1 hit on the solo home run and striking out 2, while walking 3. His control was a little off but he was keeping hitters off balanced all game with different timing on his delivery. He got some of the Astors All-Stars to look a little silly on some of their swings. I would love to see him being the Mets long reliever this season and he has had the type of spring to challenge for it. His main competition for the role if El Duque isn't thrown into the pen will be Jorge Sosa.

Sosa did pitch after Figueroa in the Astors game and he did look better than Nelson. He was dominate against every hitter, getting ahead on almost every batter and striking out 4 batter in 3 innings, he also struck out the side in the 6th inning. With the way Nelson is performing I wouldn't mind seeing the Mets trading Sosa while he is pitching well to get a good backup OF/1B. We will see what the Mets decide to do but I am definitely becoming a nice little battle out in the pen

Complete Box Score from the Astros Game.

0 comments: